Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Open Source Online Textbooks In Classrooms Now


I love it when VCs give a vote of confidence to something I've hailed as a worthwhile innovation; makes me think once in awhile I get it right. That's what happened this week when Flat World Knowledge, the open source online textbook start-up I wrote about for CNN Money and Fortune Small Business in December, got an $8 million injection of VC funds from Valhalla Partners, Greenhill SAVP and High Peaks Venture Partners. Now, I know 8 mil is small potatoes, but with VC channels all but dry right now and this being Flat World's first round (previous funding was all from unnamed Angels), it's one of those times the thought counts.

The pinch hitting schools, students, and their families may mean good timing for the plucky start-up, which has its first ten titles -- all aimed at management and business schools -- ready for show and tell to college faculty this spring.

No comments: